Every Spring in the South of France, the ‘International Festival of Fashion and Photography’ spotlights young promising artists in the fields of fashion and photography. On the four days of the festival, young fashion designers present to the public their first collection in a series of fashion shows directed by Maïda Gregoiri-Boina.
To cite only a prominent few, the Festival’s tight-knit bonds with the fashion industry are one of its major assets: leading fashion companies sponsor all events and awards, and thus mark their engagement towards young talent. Designers that have taken part in the Festival as members or the jury count Martin Margiela, Hussein Chalayan, Helmut Lang, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Martine Sitbon, John Galliano, Pierre Hardy, Anna Sui, Jean Colonna, Azzedine Alaïa, Ann Demeulemeester, Christian Lacroix, Riccardo Tisci, Haider Ackermann, Kris van Assche, Dries van Noten, Raf Simons, and Yohji Yamamoto.
This year’s president of the Fashion jury is chaired by Felipe Oliveira Baptista, who along with the rest of the selected proffesionals, met in Paris on 27th January 2013 to select the ten candidates for the final competition (355 dossiers were received this years from nearly 60 different nationalities. And here’s the 10 selected designers from 9 different countries:
- Shanshan Ruan, China, Women's collection / ESMOD Paris
- Yvonne Poei-Yie Kwok, Netherlands, Women's collection / Amsterdam Fashion Institute
- Xenia Lucie Laffely, France, Menswear / HEAD Geneve
- Tomas Berzins & Victoria Feldman, Latvia, Menswear / ESMOD Paris
- Camille Kunz, Switzerland, Menswear / HEAD Geneve
- Henning Jurke, Germany, Menswear / Berlin University of the Arts
- Xing Su, Canada, Women's collection / FIT New York
- Damien Ravn, Norway, Women's collection / Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp
- Satu Maaranen, Finland, Women's collection / Aalto University
- Marion De Raucourt, France, Women's collection / ENSAD Paris
The 28th Hyeres International Festival of Fashion and Photography will take place from 26 to April 29th 2013 at the Villa Noailles. All selected candidates will be presenting their collections in three different fashion shows, in three days and the event is open to professionals as well as the public.